Thursday, February 5, 2009

Two weeks since THE CALL

I think I am finally walking on solid ground. Since the call its been like walking on air and not really being a part of this world completely. The excitement and anticipation and sheer joy after a 3 year wait have made it hard to concentrate. I don't know how Ray gets any work done!
Some highlights of the last two weeks...first, we were supposed to receive our FedEx package on Friday, the day after the call, by 10:45 AM. It didn't come, it didn't come, lunch time came and went and it didn't come. So I called FedEx to have it tracked and had a very funny conversation with the customer service person. She struggled with the name of the agency, was distracted by a sneeze, then asked me what was in the package. I said, "my baby is in that package." And, very seriously and sincerely she replied, "we don't deliver babies." I think I was stunned for a moment, then explained it was a PICTURE of my baby with original documents. "Oh," she said, "its a letter, then." Inside I was screaming, "YES ITS A LETTER AND ITS SUPPOSED TO BE HERE BY NOW-WHERE IS IT?!" Then I remembered that FedEx "doesn't deliver babies" and chuckled to myself the rest of the day. It really was a gift because otherwise, I would have been frantic and probably not so nice when FedEx finally called me back.
So, it was decided that it would just be easier and quicker if I went to the FedEx station and got the package myself, so at 3:30 pm, I finally had the package in my hands. With permission from Ray to open it as soon as I got it, I actually shared it with the FedEx people who helped me finally get our package. They were very happy to play The Stork role and got a kick out of the whole story.
We also received permission from the orphanage to send a care package to Rebecca. Oh happy day! So, we packed a onsie (which we slept with first, so it would have all our smells), socks (to satisfy my baby sister who insisted I buy some immediately!), a wrist rattle, small photo album w/pictures of family and Schatzie (of course), lotion for the nanny and a disposable camera for them to take pictures until we get there and then return the camera to us.
The last item in the bag was a note to Rebecca from "mama" and "baba". A friend's mother graciously agreed to do any chinese translating we needed. It has been a delight getting to know Kathy and have her help us with this. She labeled all the photos, translated the note, wrote instructions for the camera and the lotion. I'm learning a lot about Chinese culture, insights she has about Rebecca, plus she's just a hoot! Its been one of many gifts we have received as part of the adoption community. Its wonderful.
I had mixed feelings as I was preparing this package. Tears of joy welled as I pulled the items together and wrote the note. I felt like I was reaching out and touching Rebecca. Then I felt great sadness as I drove away from UPS thinking about how I wanted to be going to Rebecca instead of that package - the package was never going to adequately convey how we feel about her and we are so ready to have her in our arms...but patience, we've waited this long, we can wait a little longer.
Still no word on when our exact travel dates are, which is typical. China is just now getting back to work after the Chinese New Year Holiday and there are a number of things to arrange before we find out. We have a travel meeting via phone next week to review the paper work and logistics of travel in general. Packing for this adventure is a full time job in and of itself, so keeping busy is not a problem and the best way to cope with the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment